Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ethnography Time.. & aliens?

Right now I'm putting the final touches on my ethnography which is well, lets be honest.. pretty much all but the research part of it. Not to worry however, the night is young and web pages are a hobby of mine. My project is on the site demonoid.me which is if you don't know a pretty prestigious piracy database.

.. Say that 5 times fast..
pretty prestigious piracy database

pretty prestigious piracy database

pretty prestigious piracy database

pretty prestigious piracy database

pretty prestigious piracy database

..

Well anyways I'm sure your wondering by now why exactly I'm blogging about demonoid and the real reason has to do with a related site. How these two are related has to do with the shared goal of free media for everyone. (Which is somewhat ridiculous) But if you were to click the link in the previous sentence you'd notice something a little off. The site has be seized by homeland security and no explanation has been given. Why media piracy is an issue with homeland security? I'm not quite sure but my guess is it has something to do with a transformers type issue. I'll keep looking into and see what I can dig up but for now keep your eyes open for any giant robots.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty Prestigious Piracy Database. I like it. But seriously, I am very much looking forward to reading your ethnography. And, in answer to your question, the ostensible reason for homeland security's concern about media piracy is that cracking or disabling DRM code is a crime (under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act) and traffic in pirated media across national borders is technically an international crime. But I think there is something more going on. The Defense/Intelligence Establishment is all up in arms these days about the threat of "cyber-attacks" on the US and I suspect they think there's a connection between media piracy and "cyber-terrorism."

    ReplyDelete